- 1 Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.1 Do I need a VR headset to play EmuVR?
- 1.2 Does it support Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, PSVR, Cardboard?
- 1.3 Can I use Virtual Desktop Streamer to play EmuVR on my Oculus Quest?
- 1.4 What emulated systems are supported?
- 1.5 Can I play Xbox games? PS3, Switch, Xbox One?
- 1.6 Can I play any other games outside of Retroarch? PC games? Mirror my desktop?
- 1.7 Where are the controllers? How do I play a game?
- 1.8 Which consoles are modeled?
- 1.9 Can I change console models? What's this black "Generic" console?
- 1.10 Can I import my own 3D models? Can I create custom levels?
- 1.11 How do I save my room state?
- 1.12 Does it have netplay? How can I play with friends?
- 1.13 Where can I find Games, ROMs or BIOS files?
- 1.14 Can I stream gameplay, share photos, talk about EmuVR with other people? Is there an NDA?
- 1.15 EmuVR isn't working properly! / My games won't load!
- 2 Frequently Requested Features
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a VR headset to play EmuVR?
No, you can also play EmuVR in your monitor without any VR device!
Does it support Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, PSVR, Cardboard?
EmuVR relies on graphic drivers features only present on Windows.
EmuVR works ONLY with: Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Link, SteamVR devices (HTC Vive, Valve Index, WMR) and your 2D monitor. Windows only.
Oculus Quest is supported through Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop Streamer if you have a VR compatible PC.
Can I use Virtual Desktop Streamer to play EmuVR on my Oculus Quest?
Yes, Virtual Desktop is supported. While we don't have control of any future VD updates that could end up breaking compatibility, we surely will try to make it work if that happens.
Make sure to start EmuVR by clicking Force Virtual Desktop Streamer.exe for best compatibility and performance through automatic injection.
What emulated systems are supported?
EmuVR can run almost every Retroarch core.
If something runs on Retroarch for Windows, it theoretically runs in EmuVR.
The easiest way to see what systems are supported is to check the available systems in Game Scanner.
Some specific cores might work on some computers but not on others. Usually that's due to incompatibility with AMD video cards. Try alternative cores for your desired console if available.
Can I play Xbox games? PS3, Switch, Xbox One?
EmuVR runs games through Retroarch. This means an emulator needs to be a libretro core compatible with Retroarch for Windows.
There are no Xbox, PS3 or Switch cores currently.
Can I play any other games outside of Retroarch? PC games? Mirror my desktop?
Where are the controllers? How do I play a game?
3D models for controllers aren't implemented yet.
Check out Starting Games to learn how to start and control a game!
Which consoles are modeled?
Currently, there are models for:
- SNES (USA, PAL and Japan)
More to come later.
Read the next question below to know more.
Can I change console models? What's this black "Generic" console?
For now, you'll see placeholder 3D models for every console that isn't modeled yet, represented by the fantastic Knock-Off Generic EVR-9000 video game console. This allows you to play your games for every supported system before we get to model them all or support UGC (custom models / mods).
Currently, there are models for PS1, N64, SNES (USA, PAL and Japan), NES, GameCube and PS2 systems, and a VCR. More to come later.
Can I import my own 3D models? Can I create custom levels?
User Generated Content, also known as UGC (or just mods), isn't implemented yet, but it's our ultimate goal for EmuVR.
Every piece of EmuVR is being developed with UGC in mind for the future.
Eventually it will be possible to import your models and custom levels, but we're not there yet.
However, you can already customize many aspects of your bedroom.
How do I save my room state?
Learn how in the Room Saving page.
Does it have netplay? How can I play with friends?
Yes. Check the Netplay page to learn more.
Where can I find Games, ROMs or BIOS files?
We don't provide any games, and we can't tell you where to download them.
You must bring your own games. The same goes for BIOS files.
DO NOT ASK FOR GAMES OR BIOS FILES.
This page will teach all you need to know about BIOS, and which cores needs which files: https://docs.libretro.com/library/bios/
Yes you can! Make as many streams and videos as you like, and feel free to share screenshots anywhere! There is no NDA, so feel free to invite your friends as well if you want! You can find the invite link for everyone here.
EmuVR isn't working properly! / My games won't load!
If after reading that you still have issues, ask for help in our server in the #troubleshooting channel.
Do not send emails or DMs.
Frequently Requested Features
If you have a suggestion or feature request for EmuVR, please check if it's not already listed below.
This is a list of features that are very frequently requested in Discord.
Note that a request being on this list does not mean it is going to be added. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. (If it is crossed out though, it will definitely not be added.)
(This is in no particular order. The numbers are just for easier referencing.)
- Models for:
- Arcade cabinets
- Cassete/CD player
- User Generated Content (UGC) / Modding / Custom models
- Game boxes / CD cases
- Magazines / Manuals / Books / PDFs
- TV channels
- Widescreen TVs
- Color variations (consoles / games)
- Weather (rain, snow, etc)
- New rooms / levels
- Game store / Blockbuster
- Blowing into cartridges
- Wii Remote simulation through motion controllers
- Ambient Audio
- Parents Fighting
- Mom yelling
- Birds / Cars outside
- Customizable via sound files
Xbox, PS3, Switch games
Play any game outside of Retroarch
Put EmuVR on Steam
Port EmuVR to PSVR, Oculus Quest, Oculus Go, GearVR, Cardboard VR or anything not on Windows